Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rep. Jim Matheson Doesn't Understand the Constitution

Today, I called the Salt Lake and DC offices of my representative, Jim Matheson - D. I was inquiring why the representative hasn't declared his intentions for the Health Care bill and what it was that he was waiting for to push him to one side or the other.

I spoke to a lady at the DC office who said that Matheson was waiting for the final legislation from the House before he made up his mind. I inquired as to what legislation it was that he was waiting for as the only legislation that he could be voting on is the Senate Bill that was passed Christmas Eve 2009. The nice lady repeated her talking points again and we did this dance for 2 more times.

I then asked to speak to someone who could explain to me how the House could be voting on anything other than the Senate Bill as the Constitution clearly details how bills are to be passed. I was transferred to Julie who, for brevity of this post, said the exact same thing as the first lady. She indicated that Matheson was waiting for the House Rules Committee to establish the rules for this piece of legislation. In short, they are trying to create rules that state they don't have to vote on the Senate Bill but votes on a "reconciliation bill" would be sufficient with the House 'assuming' that the Senate Bill is law.

Not only is the scheme illogical, but it is unconstitutional as well. I would refer any Democrat or any other person who is confused on the issue to Article I Section 7.

After getting no answer as to how the Slaughter Solution was constitutional I called the Salt Lake office to see if someone there could detail for me how it was a possible solution. Again, I was met with the exact same talking points as I received when I called the DC office.

I asked both offices why Matheson wasn't coming out and telling his Democrat colleagues that the suggestion of the Slaughter Solution is unconstitutional and that they needed to vote on the Senate Bill or forget it. Their answer was he isn't on the Rules Committee and he would defer to them.

I can't express how disgusted I am by Matheson and the rest of Congress who don't think they need to follow the Constitution; in essence thinking that the rules of the House and Senate supersede the Constitution. Clearly they haven't read the Constitution, don't understand it or just don't give a damn about following it for their own political power.

The citizens of The United States of America have spoken loudly and clearly on this piece of legislation --- WE DON'T WANT IT!

And yet Obama, Pelosi, Reid and Matheson are hellbent on cramming this unconstitutional piece of legislation down the throats of all Americans.

I have sent them an email asking for someone who can actually explain to me how this legislation is Constitutional to call me to discuss. As with past attempts with the office of Matheson, I don't expect a return call.

Stay tuned for a compilation of answers by those in Congress regarding the constitutionality of this piece of legislation --- if it doesn't scare you and stoke your fire to get involved, I don't know what will.

No comments: